Virus lockdowns scale back May Day rallies

first_imgBut with drastic social distancing rules to halt the spread of the disease, labour leaders have opted to postpone the public gatherings or move events online. With France still under lockdown, workers will mark the day on social networks or by calling from their balconies. “This is an opportunity to bear the social demands that we have been defending for a long time and that the crisis has highlighted,” said Philippe Martinez, the general secretary of umbrella trade union CGT. The government of Greece asked unions to delay public rallies by more than a week, but leading union GSEE called for a general strike to coincide with May Day.  Workers were forced to scale back May Day rallies around the world on Friday because of coronavirus lockdowns, although some pushed on with online events and others hit the streets in face masks.The traditional festival of the workers’ movement usually attracts millions of people to loud and boisterous marches through the streets — and occasional violent confrontations with police forces.This year the date carries extra significance after the COVID-19 outbreak sent the global economy into a historic tailspin and put unprecedented numbers of people out of work.  It has also urged demonstrators to “raise their fist and salute” health workers and other professionals helping to keep supplies and telecoms running.Portugal’s main CGTP trade union confederation is planning a gathering of union leaders on the vast esplanade where their traditional May Day parade ends each year. The group said they would stand four metres from each other and waved flags and placards.In Finland, labour rallies are traditionally preceded by huge communal picnics in the largest public gathering of the year.But only a handful of revellers congregated around the Manta statue in the market square, the traditional epicentre of the festival that was this year boarded up and patrolled by police enforcing the ban on groupings of more than ten people.  Authorities have instead encouraged Finns to celebrate online this year, with several restaurants across the capital offering live streams of wine tastings or cocktail lessons, and serving up traditional May Day food for home delivery.”We’ve had to get creative and try and find new ways that we can still interact and create togetherness,” Helsinki restaurateur Filippo Phoumsavanh told AFP.Not all members of the public are heeding restrictions on public gatherings, with riot police in Hong Kong mobilising ahead of a planned rally by pro-democracy protesters.The semi-autonomous financial hub was upended by seven months of violent protests last year, hammering its reputation for stability and leaving the city deeply divided.Small protests have bubbled up against in the past week and activists are hoping to use May Day to muster numbers once more.Topics :last_img read more

AFCON 2019: Second batch of players arrive in Dubai [+Gyan, Ayews]

first_imgBlack Stars captain, Andre Ayew and General Captain Asamoah Gyan, who were part of the second batch of playrs who flew out of Accra on Sunday evening to join the rest of their teammates in the United Arab Emirates for the team’s pre-tournament camp in Dubai have arrived.The team has set up camp in the UAE ahead of the Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.The team was met on arrival by Ghana’s Ambassador to United Arab Emirates Alhaji Ahmed Ramadan.Ghana’s Ambassador to United Arab Emirates Alhaji Ahmed Ramadan with #BlackStars skipper André Ayew and Jordan Ayew at the Team Base in DubaiThe duo were joined by Jordan Ayew, Christian Atsu, Felix Annan and some members of the technical team, namely, head coach Kwasi Appiah, his assistant Ibrahim Tanko and goalkeepers trainer Richard Kingson.This second batch of players are expected to arrive on Monday morning to join the first batch of players who got to Dubai on Saturday.Jordan Ayew, Christian Atsu and Felix Annan arrive in DubaiVice captain Kwadwo Asamoah, Kassim Nuhu, John Boye, Mohammed Alhassan and others reported to camp on Saturday, according the Ghana Football Association’s Twitter handle. Ghana will play two friendly games against Namibia and South Africa during their 2-week stay in the UAE before making the short trip to Egypt for the start of the AFCON.AFCON 2019 kicks off on June 21 with Ghana’s first game slated for June 25 against Benin.last_img read more

England targets double gold in Euro finals

first_img Girls: Sammy Fuller (Roehampton), Lily May Humphreys (Stoke by Nayland), Hollie Muse (West Lancashire), Emily Price (Cleobury Mortimer), Bel Wardle (Prestbury) and Amelia Williamson (Royal Cromer). The full teams are:  The full teams are:  Boys: Toby Briggs (Dunston Hall), Angus Flanagan (St George’s Hill), Harry Goddard (Hanbury Manor), Ben Jones (Northamptonshire County), Robin Williams (Peterborough Milton) and Charlie Strickland (Ham Manor) The men’s team is made up of six major amateur champions and they showed their class by closing out today’s semi-final, with an unbeaten performance. Despite the remarkable score lin the match was close with four of the games going to the 18th and two finishing on the 17th. Only Matthew Jordan (image copyright Leaderboard Photography) had the luxury of a comfortable singles win, finishing on the 15th.  The boys, who are playing for place at La Manga, Spain, were beaten 3-2 by France in yet another very close battle. Three of the games finished on the 18th and two on the 17th with Charlie Strickland and Toby Briggs providing England’s points. Tomorrow they play Germany.  Team coach Graham Walker commented: “We have had a fantastic day, the boys played very, very well, controlled the ball well and we absolutely whitewashed them.”  Meanwhile the England girls will meet France tomorrow in the play-off for the bronze medal after they were beaten 4.5-2.5 by Italy. Men: Harry Ellis (Meon Valley), Scott Gregory (Corhampton), Josh Hilleard (Farrington Park), Matthew Jordan (Royal Liverpool), Gian-Marco Petrozzi (Trentham) and Alfie Plant (Sundridge Park). “There’s only one thing on our minds now and that’s to get this group of girls the right colour medal – the gold.”  Men: Harry Ellis (Meon Valley), Scott Gregory (Corhampton), Josh Hilleard (Farrington Park), Matthew Jordan (Royal Liverpool), Gian-Marco Petrozzi (Trentham) and Alfie Plant (Sundridge Park). England will be targeting a gold medal double tomorrow when both the men’s and women’s sides aim for glory in the finals of the European team championships.  The men, playing in Austria, earned their place with an unbeaten 6.5-0.5 win over Italy and will now play Spain in the final.center_img The girls, playing in Finland, made a great start to their match when they won both foursomes, thanks to the pairings of Sammy Fuller and Hollie Muse and of Lily May Humphreys and Amelia Williamson. But Italy fought back to win four singles, two of which finished on the 18th.  If the men’s game was closely contested, the women’s was even tighter with Sophie Lamb going to the 20th twice – and securing both points. In the morning, she and Gemma Clews kept England on level terms with their hard-won foursomes point. Then, in the afternoon Lamb took England over the line with her singles win.  Click here for full scores Women: Lianna Bailey (Kirby Muxloe), Gemma Clews (Delamere Forest), India Clyburn (Woodhall Spa), Alice Hewson (Berkhamsted) Sophie Lamb (Clitheroe), Rochelle Morris (Woodsome Hall).  Alice Hewson and India Clyburn also won their singles, while Clews’ game was scored a half.  Team coach Steve Robinson said: “The girls all played their part, dug in and grafted – and it was a great performance. We are really happy to be in the final and to have another go. The women, who are defending champions, beat Sweden 4.5-2.5 in Portugal and will take on Italy in the battle for gold.  Girls: Sammy Fuller (Roehampton), Lily May Humphreys (Stoke by Nayland), Hollie Muse (West Lancashire), Emily Price (Cleobury Mortimer), Bel Wardle (Prestbury) and Amelia Williamson (Royal Cromer). 14 Jul 2017 England targets double gold in Euro finals Women: Lianna Bailey (Kirby Muxloe), Gemma Clews (Delamere Forest), India Clyburn (Woodhall Spa), Alice Hewson (Berkhamsted) Sophie Lamb (Clitheroe), Rochelle Morris (Woodsome Hall).  Boys: Toby Briggs (Dunston Hall), Angus Flanagan (St George’s Hill), Harry Goddard (Hanbury Manor), Ben Jones (Northamptonshire County), Robin Williams (Peterborough Milton) and Charlie Strickland (Ham Manor).last_img read more

Baseball legends honored at Atlanta City Hall

first_imgSeated from left to right: James Moore, Norman  F. Lumpkin and Lawrence Williams. Standing from left to right: Brian Jordan, Rubye Mims Lucas and Atlanta City Councilmember Michael Julian BondAtlanta City Councilmember Michael Julian Bond on Monday honored baseball greats Norman  F. “Geronimo” Lumpkin; James “Red” Moore and Lawrence “Larry” Williams on Monday at Atlanta City Hall. All honorees were members of the Negro Baseball Leagues. Due to segregation in American sports, teams within the Negro Leagues began to form in 1867. They fell apart gradually from 1947 to 1959. In addition, Bond honored Rubye Mims Lucas, the wife of the late Bill Lucas, who was the first African-American general manager in Major League Baseball as a front-office boss; and two-sport great Brian Jordan for their contributions to the Atlanta community.Norman Fred “Geronimo” Lumpkin was born on January 15, 1919 in Atlanta in a part of the OldFourth Ward section of the city known as Buttermilk Bottom. Lumpkin got his love of baseball playing in empty lots at school and played baseball in the Negro League from 1938 to 1949 on commercial and industrial teams and played semi-pro during World War II and was picked up by the Atlanta Black Crackers.James “Red” Moore was born in Atlanta on November 18, 1916 and is recognized as one of the Negro Major League’s premier first basemen. He played for the Atlanta Black Crackers in 1935, 1938, and 1946-48. During Moore’s storied career, which was abbreviated by his military service, he played on three All-Star teams, three Second Half Championship teams and was selected to the 1938 Southern News Services All-American Negro League Baseball Team.Lawrence “Larry” Williams was born February 9, 1933 in LaGrange. Williams was hired by Buck O’Neil as a lead of hitter for the Kansas City Monarchs in 1954. He once had a perfect night going four for four, with four doubles in one game. Williams has teamed up with Melvin Duncan and James Moore to educate the public about the Negro Leagues through panel discussions throughout the U.S.last_img read more

Ravi Shastri to receive a massive salary hike in his new contract

first_imgAdvertisement lsNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vstqo8Wingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Ez47( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 8ohenWould you ever consider trying this?😱kCan your students do this? 🌚lj59yRoller skating! Powered by Firework Following his reappointment, Ravi Shastri will be receiving a hike on his contract which is, as per some reports a 20 per cent increase. The Indian head coach is now believed to take home Rs 9.5 -10 crores per year, while he earned Rs 8 crore from his old contract.Advertisement The support staffs of the Indian team will also be getting a boost in their paycheck with Bharat Arun, the bowling coach, is expected to draw approx. Rs 3.5 crore, same as fielding coach R Sridhar with Vikram Rathour, the newly hired batting coach will earn around Rs 2.5 crore to Rs 3 crore per annum. The new contracts will come to effect from September 1.Advertisement After being announced as the head coach for another term, Shastri spoke about his ambitions and goals for the upcoming few seasons. In an interview he told the bcci.tv,“The reason why I came in here is the belief I had in this team, the belief that they could leave a legacy which very few teams have left behind which other teams going down will try and emulate,”Advertisement “Next two years is to see the smooth transition happening. You will get a lot of youngsters coming — in both white-ball setup and Tests. You need to identify another three-four bowlers to add to the pool by the end of our tenure. My endeavour by the end of this tenure would be to leave the team in a happier space so that they can set a legacy in the time to come,” he added.  Advertisementlast_img read more

SECOND ANNUAL SANTA ANITA DERBY MILLIONAIRE CONTEST TO BE OFFERED ON SANTA ANITA DERBY DAY, SATURDAY, APRIL 4

first_imgWHITTIER MAN JUST MISSED WINNING A MILLION LAST YEAR WITH CALIFORNIA CHROME ARCADIA, Calif. (April 2, 2015)–Santa Anita Park has announced that it will host its second annual Santa Anita Derby Millionaire Contest on Santa Anita Derby Day, this Saturday. Fans attending on Santa Anita Derby Day are encouraged to enter, and if their name is selected, Santa Anita will provide a $1,000 win wager on a horse in the Grade I, $1 million Santa Anita Derby. The track will provide $1,000 win bets on each horse in the race and all contestants will watch the Derby together from the Santa Anita Winner’s Circle.Whichever horse wins, the contestant keeps all the money, including the $1,000 wager and the contestant will be assigned the Santa Anita Derby winner for the Kentucky Derby. If that horse goes on to win Racing’s Triple Crown, by sweeping the Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont Stakes, that lucky fan would win a $1 million jackpot.“We came very close to having a million dollar winner last year,” said Santa Anita Vice President, Marketing, Nate Newby. “Eddie Espinoza and his wife, Susan, selected California Chrome to win the Santa Anita Derby, which he did and then he obviously came very close to becoming the first Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978.“This contest generated tremendous excitement last year and we’re hoping it will again this year. We’ve got some outstanding horses that are pointing to our Derby and we have to be encouraged by the fact two out of the last three winners of the Santa Anita Derby went on to win the first two legs of the Triple Crown. It’s going to be a lot of fun and we just encourage everyone to come early on April 4 and make sure they submit their entries before 2 p.m.”In addition to the $1,000 win wager April 4, Santa Anita will also provide a $7,500 win wager in the Kentucky Derby May 2 and if it wins, a $10,000 win wager in the Preakness Stakes May 16. If the horse wins both the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness, as California Chrome did last year, the contestant would be in-line for a $1 million jackpot with a win in the Belmont Stakes, to be run June 6.Santa Anita Derby Millionaire Contest participants must be present to win on April 4 and must be 18 years of age or older. Please visit santaanita.com for details. –30–last_img read more