If there’s an afterlife, somewhere on Tuesday night Al Davis was smiling through gritted teeth and pumping his fist after the Raiders one-upped the NFL establishment again. And make no mistake, the final episode of HBO’s “Hard Knocks” was the culmination of a nearly two-month victory march for the Silver & Black.The Raiders couldn’t stop NFL Films’ cameras from invading their training camp for the docuseries, but they made damn sure they stifled the process. HBO was left with much more …
A R3.5-billion state-of-the-art brewery, owned 75% by Heineken and 25% by Diageo, officially opened in Sedibeng, south of Johannesburg.The Sedibeng Brewery brews and bottles a range of premium beers – including Amstel, Heineken and Windhoek Lager – for the local market. (Image: Heineken South Africa Facebook)Brand South Africa ReporterA R3.5-billion state-of-the-art brewery, owned 75% by Heineken and 25% by Diageo, officially opened in Sedibeng, south of Johannesburg last week, with expansion already under way to exploit the growth opportunities in South Africa’s premium alcohol beverage market.The Sedibeng Brewery brews and bottles a range of premium beers – including Amstel, Heineken and Windhoek Lager – for the local market. It will also supply ready-to-drink brands Smirnoff Spin and Smirnoff Storm.‘World-class brewery’Heineken Africa MD Tom de Man described the new brewery – built on an 83-hectare site and including a brewery, production plant and warehouse – as one of the most advanced in the world, built with due care for the environment.“Heineken is the number two brewer in Africa and the Middle East, and the significant investment that we made in the Sedibeng Brewery with Diageo, one of the largest private investments in South Africa in the past year, shows our commitment in South Africa,” De Man said in a statement last week.With an initial capacity of 3-million hectoliters, the brewery is already being expanded to increase its capacity by a further 1-million hectolitres by September 2010, in anticipation of growing demand for the premium brands.Three months ahead of scheduleSedibeng Brewery MD Johan Doyer said the brewery had been built three months ahead of schedule, enabling the brewing of Amstel to begin in September 2009, while the brewing of Windhoek began in October and Heineken started in December.“Each of our premium beers are brewed under the watchful eye of Heineken, Amstel and Windhoek brewmasters, in accordance with the original recipes and the highest international brewing standards,” Doyer said.Jobs, skills“All of the South African staff has received training locally, with a large number also being trained overseas.”Sedibeng employed around 3 500 people on site at the height of the construction, and more than 225 permanent jobs will have been created at the brewery by the end of 2010.It is estimated that the brewery will generate an additional R1-billion for the local economy through the indirect employment of 100 support service workers and through the local purchasing of packaging and raw materials.Growth opportunitiesTogether with Namibia Breweries, Heineken and Diageo are shareholders in Brandhouse Beverages – a cost-sharing joint venture in South Africa, and one of the country’s leading marketing, sales, and distribution companies for premium alcohol beverages – which will be responsible for managing the brewery’s warehouse.The Sedibeng Brewery has also allowed Brandhouse to re-introduce Amstel Lager in a returnable bottle format, to replace the existing non-returnable bottles.“The returnable quart segment comprises the overwhelming share of the local beer market, and our ability to offer our customers our premium product in this format will enhance our capacity to meet consumer demand,” said Brandhouse MD Gerald Mahinda.Diageo Africa MD Nick Blazquez said the new brewery would help support the strength of the Brandhouse. “South Africa continues to present significant opportunities for growth in premium alcohol beverage categories,” he said.“Against this backdrop, we believe that Brandhouse is extremely well poised to continue to grow its share and further extend its position as the leading supplier of top quality beers and spirits in the country.“Sedibeng represents the next step in what has already proved to be a very successful and mutually beneficial association between our companies.”Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See Using Brand South Africa material.
This tutorial will take a look at how to set up a custom workspace in Premiere Pro that will significantly speed up our post work.Depending on the kind of content you create, sometimes you will find yourself with hours of raw footage, from which you have to pull good takes. If this is the case, loading individual clips into Adobe Premiere Pro’s Source Monitor can be tedious. And once you find those good takes, how do you keep everything organized? Never fear — the pancake technique is here.Pancake Timeline was a term first coined by Vashi Nedomansky, ACE, of Vashi Visuals. The method derives its name from the vertical stacking of timelines within the interface. Stacking timelines will not only speed up your workflow, but it will also help you keep a bird’s-eye view on everything. Let’s take a closer look at how to use this technique to quickly sort through a project’s raw footage. How to Edit in Pancake Mode1. Prepare the SequencesIn the first step, I’ll prepare two sequences — one titled Raw Footage and the other Rough Cut V1. Next, I’ll open up the Raw Footage sequence and drag all of my clips in.2. Open the Source TimelineThe key to making the pancake method work is to open up the source material, in its own timeline. To do this, I’ll drag the Raw Footage sequence from the Project Panel to the Source Panel. Once loaded, I’ll click on the Source Monitor’s wrench icon and select “Open Sequence” in timeline. Now, I can see “(Source Monitor)” in the name of my Raw Footage sequence. The current time indicator has also turned red, instead of the standard blue.3. Stack the TimelinesNow, it’s time to pancake the timelines. I’ll grab the tab of the Raw Footage sequence and drag it around, inside of the frame, until the top of the panel turns purple, then I’ll release it. Now the source sequence is on top of my Rough Cut V1.4. Editing from Timeline to TimelineWith my sequences stacked, I can now bring clips easily from the Raw Footage sequence into my Rough Cut sequence, via a simple drag and drop. To perform insert and overwrite edits, I can deactivate Insert and Overwrite Sequences as Nests or Individual Clips. Once deselected, I can add in and out points in the Source Monitor, or directly on my Raw Footage timeline, then perform insert and overwrite edits to the rough cut.Reasons to Use This TechniqueThe pancake technique isn’t just for pulling good takes from raw footage. Let’s say, for example, you’re creating a demo reel. You open up multiple Premiere Projects at the same time, pancaking three to four timelines from varying projects. Then, you can quickly shuttle through numerous source sequences to pull clips for your reel. This technique will also be quite useful for sporting event highlights. Whatever the case, pancaking timelines is a powerful skill set to add to your Premiere Pro tool belt.Looking for more video tutorials? Check these out.Video Tutorial: Determining The Best Lens for Your ProjectTutorial: Removing Audio Pops and Recording Audio DifferentlyHow to Change the Color of Exterior Lights in After EffectsVideo Tutorial: Harness the Power of Presets in Adobe After EffectsChanging the Audio Editing Game with PremiumBeat’s Track Stems
The Central Bureau of Investigation has summoned RJD chief Lalu Prasad and his son Tejaswi for questioning in connection with alleged corruption in the award of maintenance contracts of two Railway hotels to a Patna-based private company.Mr. Prasad has been told to appear before the investigating team on September 11, while his son has been summoned the next day. The agency has booked the former Railway Minister, his wife Rabri Devi, son Tejashwi and others under Sections 420 (cheating) and 120-B (criminal conspiracy) of the Indian Penal Code, read with the relevant Prevention of Corruption Act provisions.It is alleged that contract conditions were tweaked to favour Sujata Hotels, in lieu of about three-acre land in Patna.Among those named as accused are Sarla Gupta, wife of Mr. Prasad’s close associate and Rajya Sabha member Prem Chand Gupta; Vijay and Vinay Kochhar, directors of Sujata Hotels; Delight Marketing Company Pvt. Ltd (DMCPL) in which Ms. Gupta was a director; Lara Projects LLP, and former IRCTC managing director P.K. Goel.According to the CBI, as part of the conspiracy, the hotels located in Ranchi and Puri were first handed over to IRCTC and then their maintenance contracts were given to Sujata Hotels. It is alleged that the Kochhars sold the land in question to DMCPL, through 10 sale deeds, for ₹1.47 crore, against the then circle rate of ₹1.93 crore. It was allegedly shown as agricultural land to evade stamp duty.The CBI FIR alleges that the payment was arranged in the form of investment in DMCPL shares through Ahluwalia Contracts (India) Limited and its promoter Bikramjeet Singh Ahluwalia.It has been alleged that DMCPL shares were taken over completely by Mr. Prasad’s family members for just ₹64 lakh, against the circle rate of ₹32.5 crore and market value of ₹94 crore, by 2014. The company’s name was later changed to Lara Projects, which was then turned into a limited liability partnership firm.
A sales employee of multinational technology company Apple was on Saturday shot dead in Lucknow by a constable of the Uttar Pradesh police, allegedly after he refused to stop his SUV car for checking at the call of the policemen who were on patrol duty on a motorcycle.The victim, identified as Vivek Tiwari, was dropping his colleague Sana Khan home when the incident took place near the Gomti Nagar Extension area in the early hours of Saturday between 1:30 a.m. and 1:45 a.m.A case of murder has been lodged against the two constables, Prashant Chaudhary and Sandeep, said Lucknow SSP Kalanidhi Naithani, adding that the two had been found guilty of “excessive use of force.” The constables have been arrested.UP DGP O.P. Singh has constituted an SIT under IG Lucknow to probe the case after the victim’s family demanded a CBI probe into the incident and alleged that the police were trying to cover up the incident. ADG Law and Order Anand Kumar said the autopsy report of the victim established that he died due to a gunshot injury to his chin.While the policeman who was on patrol duty claimed he fired at the car in self-defence as it tried to run over his motorbike, questions are being raised on the sequence of events as narrated by the police. As per the FIR filed by Ms. Sana Khan, the victim’s colleague, Mr. Tiwari had parked the SUV near the City Montessori School when two policemen approached them.“We tried to avoid them but they tried to stop us and then I suddenly felt that a bullet was fired. Our car moved forward and collided with the wall of an underpass. Vivek was bleeding heavily from his head,” read the FIR. After being fired at, Mr. Tiwari reportedly lost control of the vehicle and rammed it into an underpass wall. He was rushed to a hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.Talking to the media, Ms. Khan said that Mr. Tiwari did not stop the car as he thought it was not wise to stop a car in an isolated place with a woman inside. Prashant Chaudhary, the constable who fired the bullet with his service weapon, said he had found the vehicle to be “suspicious” and claimed that the car tried to run over him when he waved at it to stop.“The car was closed and its headlights were off too. We did not know who was inside, nothing could be seen. As soon as we moved forward, the car tried to run over the bike,” said Mr. Chaudhary, adding that his two-wheeler was damaged.He said he had pulled out the pistol to scare off the driver but alleged that Mr. Tiwari tried to run him over three times. “When he did it for the third time it was with the intention to kill because I had fallen on the ground,” said the constable.Mr. Tiwari’s wife Kalpana Tiwari has demanded a CBI probe into the incident and questioned the role and intention of the police. “He was shot from the front. Police are saying that he tried to flee. If he was not stopping the vehicle, you go to the RTO office and note down the number of the vehicle. Why did you have to shoot him? He has little children. Why did you kill an innocent man,” said Ms. Tiwari.She also wrote a letter to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath. CM Adityanath said the incident was not an encounter and his government would hold a thorough probe. “Prima facie those guilty have been arrested. If needed, we will send it to the CBI,” he said.Our Correspondent Vijitha adds:Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said he spoke to CM Adityanath and has asked him to take appropriate action in the shooting down of Mr. Tiwari in Lucknow.
Amendments are to be made to the legislation pertaining to the Students Loan Bureau (SLB), to facilitate deductions at source, to ensure that loans are repaid by borrowers.However, in the interim, employers in the public sector will be authorized to deduct payments from employees who have outstanding loans with the SLB and remit these to the Bureau.This was disclosed by Minister of Finance and Planning, Dr. the Hon. Peter Phillips,as he opened the 2013/14 Budget Debate in the House of Representatives on April 18, under the theme: ‘Restoring Hope – Expanding Opportunity’.“Employers in the private sector are being encouraged to facilitate these deductions from the salaries of their employees as their contribution to the effort to expand opportunities to our young people who are unable to access tertiary education without the help of the SLB,” the Minister added.Dr. Phillips also noted that the recent introduction of a Credit Bureau should help in reducing the high delinquency rate, as the credit worthiness of persons will be recorded for future transactions.Meanwhile, the Minister emphasized that it is critical that tertiary institutions periodically review the types of programmes and courses offered to determine their relevance to the market needs.He said this will assist students in getting jobs on graduation and as such, will be able to repay their loans, so that the demand on government for funding can be reduced.Over the last six years demand for students’ loans has increased, with the number moving from 6,600 in 2007 to 16,600 in 2012, and this is projected to increase to over 20,000 for the upcoming academic year.This increased demand, coupled with the annual increase in tuition costs by tertiary institutions, has resulted in significantly increased pressure on the limited resources of the SLB to meet the growing demand, which is estimated to reach $20 billion in the 2015/16 financial year.Of this amount, inflows of approximately $12 billion will be sourced between now and 2015/16 from the recent increase in Education Tax and from loan repayments.“This will still leave a shortfall of approximately $8 billion for the period,” Dr. Phillips noted.He informed that for the 2013/14 academic year, approximately $4.9 billion is required to fully cover the projected demand, which will be financed by the Education tax and loan inflows from the Caribbean Development Bank.“The SLB is (also) engaged in discussions with private sector financial institutions to induce their participation in funding the demand for tertiary education. These discussions are progressing well and the details are being worked out as to the terms and conditions of the private sector’s participation in this undertaking. Once this is finalized, the SLB will be in a position to determine the extent to which further funding may be available,” Dr. Phillips said.By Latonya Linton, JIS Reporter