Michael Johnson resigns as Golden Jaguars Head Coach!

first_img..Brazilian Márcio Máximo named as interim replacementJUST one year after being named as Head Coach of the ‘Golden Jaguars’, Michael Johnson resigned from the post, according to the Guyana Football Federation (GFF), to accept “a position in England that will be announced soon.”  Johnson’s last official date as head coach of the country’s Senior Men’s National team, the GFF said in a release, was August 13, while the Wayne Forde-led Federation named Brazilian Márcio Máximo as the Interim Head Coach and man that will be in charge of the Golden Jaguars when they roar in the up-coming Concacaf Nations League.Johnson, 46, stood on the sidelines for 10 matches during his one year stint with the Golden Jaguars, but only mustered two wins, losing to Suriname, French Guiana (2 – 1), Haiti (3 – 1), Bermuda (1 – 0), the USA (4 – 1), Panama (4 – 2), while drawing with Barbados (2 – 2) and Trinidad and Tobago (1 – 1). Under Johnson, Guyana defeated only Turks and Caicos (8 – 0) and Belize (2 – 1). The game against Barbados was later won on technicality after the Island fielded a player who was deemed ineligible by FIFA and as such, a 3 – 0 result was returned in favor of Guyana.To Johnson’s credit, he would go down as the first coach to qualify the senior men’s team for their first major tournament in the sport – the CONCACAF Gold Cup. However, some pundits had discredited Johnson’s accomplishment, stating that the qualification process was not as difficult as those his predecessors had to play to qualify for the CONCACAF showpiece, and also, given the fact that had Barbados not blundered and made their technical mistake with regards to proper documentation to one of their players, the Golden Jaguars would not have made the journey to the USA this summer.Márcio MáximoWayne Forde, president of the GFF, the release said, on behalf of the Executive Committee, stated that he was proud of the work done by Johnson, especially in aiding the professional development of the senior national programme and the creditable performance of the team at its inaugural Gold Cup participation. Meanwhile, Máximo, the GFF noted, comes to the post with a CONMEBOL pro licence and over 30 years experience as a Coach and Coaching Instructor at both club and national team levels.To date, he has coached the Brazil National U-17 and U-20 teams (1992-1993), Qatar National U-20 Team, Cayman Islands National Team (1999-2002), which resulted in Caribbean Cup and World Cup Qualification respectively and the Tanzania National Team (2006 – 2010), when they reached qualifiers for the World Cup – Germany and South Africa – and also qualified for the African Cup of Nations for the first time ever. The coach has also worked with club teams across the world including Germany, Saudi Arabia, Costa Rica and Scotland (United Kingdom).The new Head Coach, who is expected to arrive in  Guyana next week, will reside in Guyana during his eight-month tenure and will work with the Guyana-based senior national team players to improve their chances of breaking into the team.The GFF release pointed out that Máximo is also expected to contribute to the national development programmes and Coaching Education initiatives.  Following the conclusion of the CONCACAF Nations League, a performance evaluation will be done, which will inform the next steps to be taken.last_img read more

County hurling league results

first_imgThere were a number of games down for decision in the county hurling leagues last night and in an exciting affair Nenagh Eire Òg pipped Mullinahone by a point on a 2-19 to 2-18 scoreline.Eire Òg Anacarty were one goal winners as they hit 2-21 to Kiladangans 1-21 while Templederry Kenyons from the North beat Mid Tipps Loughmore Castleiney 5-9 to 0-14.In a North against South battle Toomevara were 3-17 to 1-18 winners over Ballingarry while Clonoulty Rossmore beat Carrick Davins 3-18 to 2-15 and finally in an all South tie Ballybacon Grange beat Cahir 3-19 to 1-9.last_img

3 vendors charged for $22M jewellery heist

first_imgStabroek Market robberyThree men were on Friday morning remanded to prison by Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan for breaking and entering the L Seepersaud Maraj & Sons jewellery store in the Stabroek Market and stealing $22 million worth of gold and diamond jewellery.Tyron Marks, 31, of Lot 107 Eccles, East Bank Demerara; Clifford Rodney, 66, of Lot 265 One Mile, Linden; Albert Defreitas, 54, of Leopold Street, Werk-en-Rust, Georgetown were not required to plead to the indictable charge.According to the prosecution’s case, between July 2 and July 3, 2018, the men who are also vendors in the Stabroek Market broke and entered the jewellery store.The men were represented by Attorneys Pamela DeSantos, Kezia Williams and Adrian Thompson respectively.The three Attorneys, in their bail applications, informed the court that their clients were beaten by Police to confess to the theft.Police Prosecutor Neville Jeffers objected to bail and informed the court that the men all have pending matters of similar nature before the courts while citing the serious nature of the offence and the value of the items.The court was told that during a video interrogation with investigators, two of the men admitted to cutting into the store’s safe to gain access to the items.The men were remanded to prison. The case will continue on July 23, 2017.Reports are on July 3 when the owners and employees of the jewellery store arrived at the Market, they realised the stall was broken into. Upon checking, they discovered that the entire store was ransacked and the vault was torched open.In a press statement, the owners had said that the robbery was the work of “highly-skilled thieves”.According to the owners, they had consulted with several security specialists and others trained in ironwork and welding, and were informed that it would have taken no less than five hours for the vaults to be cut open. It was further revealed that the owners had spoken to two City Constables, who claimed that checks were done earlier in the Market, but nothing was discovered.Additionally, the stall was secured with an alarm system that was being monitored by the MMC Security Force.“We contacted the MMC Security Force late this afternoon and we were informed that the alarm was indeed set off three times last night. However, MMC never informed us or the Police that the alarms went off. On every other occasion, whenever the alarm is set off, MMC would call us immediately and the fact that we never received any calls or reports from them is puzzling,” the owners had said in the release.Meanwhile, Crime Chief Paul Williams headed a team to the scene, who were able to collect fingerprints from one of the heavy-duty safes in which the jewellery was secured.The robbery has yet again raised concerns about security at the Market. Police thought it was quite strange that no one heard any abnormal noises or saw any abnormal movements since a robbery of that magnitude could take a few hours. It was later disclosed that the City Constabulary Officers have access to the Market at all times through the southern gate.Only recently, the City Constabulary named Stabroek and Bourda Markets as popular criminal hotspots where consumers are attacked and robbed on a daily basis. These offences are suspected to be gang-related.Chief Constable Andrew Foo has stated that the Markets have been on their radar for quite a while now in light of the increase in criminal activities there.Foo explained that at the Stabroek Market, since it is a transportation hub, persons entering and leaving public transportation are the main targets. With respect to Bourda Market, most of the incidents occur among vendors and shoppers in the rush hours, when sales are at a peak.last_img read more