REVEALED: Eriksen DID give Tottenham teammate Vertonghen black eyeby Paul Vegas22 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveChristian Eriksen did manage to give Tottenham teammate Jan Vertonghen a black eye – but the incident was a training accident.Eriksen rubbished rumours circulating on social media that Vertonghen had been involved in an affair with his wife Sabrina Kvist Jensen. An image of Vertonghen with a black eye had accompanied some of the posts, suggesting it was related to the unfounded speculation.The Mirror says Eriksen was to blame for the injury in an accidental training-ground clash.Both Eriksen and Vertonghen were involved on Tuesday night as Spurs were humbled 7-2 by Bayern Munich.It was the first time in Tottenham’s history they had shipped seven goals on home soil and extended their indifferent start to the campaign. About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Juventus coach Sarri planning London return for three-player raidby Paul Vegas10 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveJuventus coach Maurizio Sarri is planning a London return for a three-player raid on Chelsea and Tottenham.Ilbianconero says Sarri is keen on poaching N’Golo Kante and Emerson Palmieri from old side Chelsea.And Le 10 Sport says Tottenham contract rebel Christian Eriksen has been lined up for a free transfer to Turin at the end of the season.It’s said that French World Cup winner Kante, 28, is high on Sarri’s shopping list after starring under the Italian last season.Sarri transformed Kante from a defensive midfielder into a complete all-rounder, and the pair could be set for a reunion at the end of the campaign.He is also keen on Chelsea teammate Emerson too, who he thrust into the side ahead of Marcos Alonso at the beginning of 2019.Eriksen, 27, is available on a free transfer next summer after refusing to talks terms with Tottenham.And Juve will look to open negotiations in January, despite reported interest from Real Madrid.
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Liverpool midfielder Gini Wijnaldum: We could go through unbeatenby Paul Vegas7 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool midfielder Gini Wijnaldum claims says they could stay unbeaten for the whole Premier League campaign.Wijnaldum admits it is possible Liverpool could remain unbeaten, but claims they are not thinking about matching Arsenal’s Invincibles.”It is possible,” said the Dutch midfielder.“Nobody knows how it’s going to be. We have had some luck up to now, but we have also put a lot of hard work in.“We don’t think about the fact that Arsenal did not lose in that season. We just try to give everything in every game.”
Jim Kelly NFL DraftJim Kelly, former Miami Hurricane and Buffalo Bill great, has just stolen the show at the NFL Draft – and for good reason. Friday night, Kelly, who has battled squamous cell carcinoma (a form of jaw cancer) the past few years, made his way to stage to announce the 50th overall pick in place of commissioner Roger Goodell. Before he announced Buffalo’s selection of Ronald Darby, he received a standing ovation and was serenaded with chants of his last name. It was incredibly heartwarming.If the above clip doesn’t work, click here to view it on YouTube.It’s great to see Kelly back on his feet, cancer-free. Let’s hope it stays that way.
Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has stated his opposition to plans to reform the structure of the Champions League.Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli has led proposals to revamp the competition, with the intention of including more matches and introducing some form of promotion and relegation in 2024.Initial plans have been put forward by the European Club Association (ECA), of which Rummenigge was chairman from 2008 until 2017. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? “Why do we have to change anything?” Rummenigge asked Bild.”I’m also not a big fan of the idea to expand the group stage. At the end of the current model with the groups of four, we often end up with so-called ‘dead games’, where everything is already decided.”Everyone is always running after the money. But where is this money going?“It isn’t like our profits exploded and our shareholders also shared in this success. The money is being spent on players’ wages and agents’ fees.“Most importantly, the European Cup will not take place on the weekends. Because that would create too big a fight with the national leagues.”Rummenigge, 63, won the European Cup twice as a player with Bayern in the 1970s and as a former chairman of the ECA, his opinion on the matter could carry some significant weight.He is not the only high-profile opponent, with the Premier League already having issued a statement underlining their opposition to any reforms “that would alter the structures, calendar and competitiveness of the domestic game”.Closer to home, Rummenigge also repeated his support for Bayern manager Niko Kovac, who had been linked with an early dismissal from the club.Bayern started the season poorly and looked like surrendering their Bundesliga crown to Borussia Dortmund – but finished the campaign in style with a domestic double.”I do not know any club that would have dismissed their coach after winning the double,” said Rummenigge.Rumours of his sacking had in part been due to Rummenigge’s lack of public backing for the coach during the season, but he claims he had Kovac’s best interests at heart.”I did not want to hurt him. I just wanted to focus everyone on our common goal.”Success is part of our club’s DNA. We have imposed this pressure on ourselves, and everyone must withstand that at Bayern. Niko knows that, he has already worked as a player here.”
Eden Hazard hailed Kylian Mbappe and Paul Pogba as two of the world’s best players as the pair continue to be linked with Real Madrid.Hazard was presented by Madrid on Thursday after making the move from Chelsea for a fee which could reportedly rise to £130million.Paris Saint-Germain star Mbappe and Manchester United midfielder Pogba are also linked with Madrid, where Zinedine Zidane’s rebuild is gathering steam. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? While Hazard had little interest in talking about transfers, the attacker said the duo were among the world’s best.”I’m not here to discuss transfers. I came to play with the best,” he told a news conference. What a day for @hazardeden10 ! #WelcomeHazard | #HalaMadrid pic.twitter.com/VJT8zEg9nB — Real Madrid C.F. (@realmadriden) June 13, 2019 “There are new players already and we’ll have some time to adapt.”It’s true that we want to play with the best and the guys you’ve mentioned are two of those, but I don’t decide these things.”Madrid have already signed Hazard, Luka Jovic, Eder Militao, Ferland Mendy and Rodrygo Goes ahead of the 2019-20 season.Hazard, Jovic and co. will be tasked with leading Real Madrid back to glory as the club failed to win a trophy this season.The club finished third in La Liga, behind rivals Barcelona and Atletico Madrid, and suffered a stunning Champions League elimination at the hands of Ajax.And Hazard says that he and the new signings will look to brings the club back to its prior level and fight for the trophies the team has become accustomed to winning.Hazard stated on Thursday that he does not consider himself a “Galactico” , saying he must prove himself as a player at Real Madrid.At 28 years old, he’s entering the prime of his career, and he’s ready to prove himself once again.”I do not think it’s too late, I’m 28 years old, I think I’m in the best moment of my career,” he said.”The dream of playing for Madrid has been there for a long time but in my career I have always had several stages and now I think it was time to set a before and after in my career.”He added: ” I think it all began last year, after the World Cup, but I’ve been at Chelsea for another year.”I’ve had a great year personally and also with the team, I think it was the perfect time to sign with Real Madrid.”
Excitement is building ahead of the 2019-20 Premier League season and the date has been set for the Community Shield – English football’s traditional campaign curtain-raiser.The Community Shield usually involves some of the country’s biggest teams and it gives fans a chance to get a first glimpse of how their teams are shaping up heading into the new term.There is an inevitable intrigue around new signings as they settle in to new surroundings and the game can sometimes set the tone for the upcoming season. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ahead of the game, Goal brings you everything you need to know, including which teams are involved, ticket information, venue and more.Which teams are in the 2019 Community Shield? The 2019 Community Shield will be contested by Liverpool and Manchester City.Pep Guardiola’s City, who won the 2018 edition, booked their place in the curtain-raiser event by virtue of winning the 2018-19 Premier League.Ordinarily, the other team in the Community Shield is the winner of the FA Cup, but since City won that too, the team which finished second in the league – in this case Liverpool – is drafted in.This will be Liverpool’s 22nd appearance in the Community Shield as they seek their 16th victory and it will be Man City’s 12th appearance as they attempt to add to their five titles.Community Shield ticketsTicket allocations have yet to be finalised, but the indications are that both teams will receive somewhere in the region of 28,000 tickets each.Tickets will be distributed directly via the clubs, so it is advised that supporters check the website of the team they support.Liverpool Click here for Liverpool ticket informationMan City Click here for Man City ticket informationClub Wembley members will also be able to avail themselves of tickets, with the Community Shield being one of the events included in the membership package.Where will the 2019 Community Shield take place?The Community Shield will take place at London’s Wembley Stadium, which has become the traditional venue for English football’s showpiece matches.The game has been played at the redeveloped Wembley since 2007, regularly attracting crowds of over 80,000.In 2012, however, the Community Shield was played at Villa Park in Birmingham due to the fact that Wembley was involved in the hosting of the 2012 Olympics.When will the 2019 Community Shield take place? Date Match Kick-off time Venue August 4, 2019 Liverpool vs Man City 3pm BST / 10am ET Wembley Stadium, London The 2019 Community Shield will be played on Sunday, August 4. It is scheduled for a 3pm BST (10am ET) kick-off.For both teams, the game will serve as a final warm-up match for the new season, which gets under way on August 9 for Liverpool, who play Norwich City, with Man City kicking off against West Ham on August 10.Liverpool’s pre-season tour will already have brought them to the United States, Scotland and Switzerland, while City’s preparations take place on the other side of the planet in China and Japan. Subscribe to Goal’s Liverpool Correspondent Neil Jones’ weekly email bringing you the best Liverpool FC writing from around the web
When Baghdad Bounedjah’s speculative effort looped off the outstretched leg of Salif Sane and dipped into the Senegalese goal beyond Alfred Gomis, it felt immediately like the worst possible opening to a game that was always destined to be fractious.There was precedent for what was to come in the first meeting between these sides some three weeks ago, which Algeria won with a second-half Youcef Belaili strike.Then, the North Africans seemed on a mission to prove they could compete physically, but that strategy appeared to be in service of a mental warfare: by beating Senegal on the front where they seemed strongest, they gained the upper hand by which they then struck in the second half. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Here, the goal came first, and so Algeria’s physicality became a wilful perversion, in service of nothing other than simply shutting the game down. The fastest goal ever scored in an AFCON final is a nice little bit of history, but beyond that there is little for which this game will be remembered by the neutral.In a match dominated by shenanigans, it did, however, feel fitting that it was Bounedjah’s goal that settled it.Throughout the tournament, he snapped and snarled, revelling in his self-appointed role as villain of the piece. Yet, for all that he seemed on a mission to make his presence felt to every defender who had the misfortune of crossing his path, there was a sense in which he had been curiously absent since the first game of the AFCON.Since insouciantly rolling the ball past Patrick Matasi from the spot in the opening group fixture against Kenya, Bounedjah’s reel had been a morass of missed opportunities. The highlight, a quarter-final penalty miss over which one suspects he might have had more than a few nightmares had Algeria failed to progress, laid bare just how tightly-wound his trademark disruptive style requires him to be.The danger was that he might come to be defined by that alone, and increasingly in modern international football, it appears that forwards are less important for what they do in front of goal as what they represent to their sides.Olivier Giroud famously failed to find the back of the net at the World Cup last summer, and at the last AFCON, Cameroon cycled through strikers with none ever seeming like they had the quality to lead the line until Vincent Aboubakar produced a late moment of brilliance to win it all.There could be no denying Bounedjah’s importance to this Algeria team, setting the tone both in terms of pressing and gamesmanship. And yet, coming into the final, it seemed like he needed a goal just the same, even if only to reassure himself.The unfortunate defender, Sane, had himself been missing since the opening game – literally – due to an injury, and even though he had been back fit since after the quarter-finals, he likely would not have featured had Kalidou Koulibaly not been ludicrously suspended for having a shot whacked at his elbow from close range in the semi-final.On such fine margins do finals turn. Even though, by any measure, Algeria were the best team in Egypt, it still came down to a freakish deflection, and they still suffered greatly in this final. A lot of it their own doing, it must be said, and as in the first game they rode their luck in both boxes.Mehdi Zeffane’s tackle on Ismaila Sarr in the first half should have, at the very least, warranted a VAR check, and even though Adlene Guedioura’s handball did, referee Sidi Alioum seemed to not be applying the new handball rules in reversing his earlier decision to award a penalty.That is the danger, of course, with dropping as deep as Djamel Belmadi’s side did, and looking to spoil. It only takes a moment to potentially upset everything.As it turned out, Senegal, aside from not getting the rub on the day, simply lacked the guile to consistently draw their opposition out and create chances. When they did manage it, they found Mbaye Niang in no mood to trouble the scoring charts.It has been a weakness for Cisse, and perhaps best captures why Algeria are such worthy winners: the ability to wear many hats, to win in so many different ways, made them almost impossible to resist.
BLACKSBURG, VA – SEPTEMBER 30: A general view of Lane Stadium prior to the game between the Virginia Tech Hokies and Clemson Tigers on September 30, 2017 in Blacksburg, Virginia. (Photo by Michael Shroyer/Getty Images)Jeremy Webb, a four-star cornerback, was one of the top JUCO recruits in the country for the 2018 class. He had offers from several major programs and he ended up choosing Virginia Tech.The 6-foot-3 cornerback was set to be an instant contributor for the Hokies, who hope to contend in the ACC this fall.Unfortunately, they’ll have to do so with their star JUCO recruit. He’s been lost for the season.Virginia Tech announced that Webb will be out for the 2018 season with an Achilles injury.“While we share Jeremy’s disappointment that he will miss the 2018 season, our medical staff is confident that he will make a complete recovery,” head coach Justin Fuente said. “We look forward to Jeremy beginning the rehab process as soon as possible.”Webb underwent surgery earlier this week to repair his torn Achilles.The four-star played last season at ASA College, a junior college located in Brooklyn, New York.Webb signed with Virginia Tech in December. He chose the Hokies over West Virginia, Iowa State, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and UCF.Virginia Tech opens its 2018 season on Sept. 3 against Florida State.
PISCATAWAY, NJ – OCTOBER 24: Head coach Urban Meyer of the Ohio State Buckeyes during warmups before a game against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights at High Point Solutions Stadium on October 24, 2015 in Piscataway, New Jersey. (Photo by Rich Schultz /Getty Images)Ohio State’s football program is not in a good place today. The Buckeyes are dealing with a major controversy, as a new report from Brett McMurphy suggests that Urban Meyer knew more about the alleged domestic violence incident with now-former assistant Zach Smith than he led on at Big Ten Media Days.Naturally, everyone inside the college football world is discussing Urban Meyer and the Buckeyes this afternoon.Few inside Ohio State’s program have actually commented on the allegations, though.However, a cryptic tweet from a former star Ohio State quarterback is going viral.Funny how life works— Cardale Jones (@Cardale7_) August 1, 2018Cardale has yet to provide further explanation on what that could mean.Urban Meyer and Ohio State are likely to release some kind of statement at some point today. Stay tuned.