ANAHEIM — The Oakland A’s continued one trend on Thursday night, and came up considerably short with another.The A’s hit a pair of solo homers in the opener of the four-game series against the Los Angeles Angels, but starting pitcher Tanner Anderson couldn’t get through the third inning, setting the stage for the 8-3 loss at Angel Stadium.Oakland starters had gone 5-2 with a 3.39 ERA in the previous 11 games, most recently getting six shutout innings from Daniel Mengden in a 2-0 win at the …
WARRIORS UPDATE: The Warriors are looking to snap a league-worst seven-game losing streak as they continue to have the NBA’s worst record (2-12). … Draymond … Scroll down to get insights and news updates from the Warriors’ game Tuesday night against the Grizzlies.GAME ESSENTIALS: Warriors (2-12) vs. Grizzlies (5-8) in Memphis, Tuesday at 5 p.m. (PT). TV: NBCS.ODDS: Grizzlies -5.5. LAST REGULAR-SEASON MEETING: Grizzlies beat Warriors 132-117 in Memphis on April 10, 2019.
Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Biggest Pogo service provider padlocked for tax evasion Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Nieles had a perfect run, but faced a slight hitch when his ball didn’t go down the net after his lay-up.“I wanted to get the ball, but (Naboa) was still shooting a layup,” he said, as he allowed Naboa to shoot two more attempts before taking the ball and cruising to the top of the arc to drill the game-winning jumper.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingNieles retained the Skills Challenge plum for Mapua after Darell Menina won the title last year.“I checked Shane’s time last year and he got 24.6 seconds. I felt I needed to best that and I was really inspired with what he did,” he said. MOST READ Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netThe league’s best speedster remained from Mapua.Cardinal guard JP Nieles ruled the Skills Challenge in the 2017 NCAA Season 93 All-Star, beating St. Benilde rookie Unique Naboa in the Finals on Friday at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters UFC: Trilogy bout with Nate Diaz should happen at 155 lbs, McGregor insists NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Nielestopped Letran’s Jeremiah Taladua in the semifinals to earn his spot in the championship round.Still, it was a huge validation for Nieles given the Cardinals’ woeful campaign this season.“I’m really happy. It shows that even though we’re down, I can prove that some of us can still step up,” he said.Nieles recorded the best time in the first round with 20.7 seconds, leading the list that also had Naboa (21.9 seconds), Lyceum’s Jaycee Marcelino (25.8 seconds), and Taladua (27.5 seconds) to qualify for the final round.Also joining the competition were Perpetual’s Keith Pido, Arellano’s Levi dela Cruz, San Sebastian’s Michael Are, San Beda’s Radge Tongco, EAC’s Jervin Guzman, and JRU’s Karl Bordon.ADVERTISEMENT Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo View comments
Amendments are to be made to the legislation pertaining to the Students Loan Bureau (SLB), to facilitate deductions at source, to ensure that loans are repaid by borrowers.However, in the interim, employers in the public sector will be authorized to deduct payments from employees who have outstanding loans with the SLB and remit these to the Bureau.This was disclosed by Minister of Finance and Planning, Dr. the Hon. Peter Phillips,as he opened the 2013/14 Budget Debate in the House of Representatives on April 18, under the theme: ‘Restoring Hope – Expanding Opportunity’.“Employers in the private sector are being encouraged to facilitate these deductions from the salaries of their employees as their contribution to the effort to expand opportunities to our young people who are unable to access tertiary education without the help of the SLB,” the Minister added.Dr. Phillips also noted that the recent introduction of a Credit Bureau should help in reducing the high delinquency rate, as the credit worthiness of persons will be recorded for future transactions.Meanwhile, the Minister emphasized that it is critical that tertiary institutions periodically review the types of programmes and courses offered to determine their relevance to the market needs.He said this will assist students in getting jobs on graduation and as such, will be able to repay their loans, so that the demand on government for funding can be reduced.Over the last six years demand for students’ loans has increased, with the number moving from 6,600 in 2007 to 16,600 in 2012, and this is projected to increase to over 20,000 for the upcoming academic year.This increased demand, coupled with the annual increase in tuition costs by tertiary institutions, has resulted in significantly increased pressure on the limited resources of the SLB to meet the growing demand, which is estimated to reach $20 billion in the 2015/16 financial year.Of this amount, inflows of approximately $12 billion will be sourced between now and 2015/16 from the recent increase in Education Tax and from loan repayments.“This will still leave a shortfall of approximately $8 billion for the period,” Dr. Phillips noted.He informed that for the 2013/14 academic year, approximately $4.9 billion is required to fully cover the projected demand, which will be financed by the Education tax and loan inflows from the Caribbean Development Bank.“The SLB is (also) engaged in discussions with private sector financial institutions to induce their participation in funding the demand for tertiary education. These discussions are progressing well and the details are being worked out as to the terms and conditions of the private sector’s participation in this undertaking. Once this is finalized, the SLB will be in a position to determine the extent to which further funding may be available,” Dr. Phillips said.By Latonya Linton, JIS Reporter
WHITEHORSE – Yukon’s justice minister plans to direct an independent review of how the Whitehorse Correctional Centre handles mentally ill inmates following a high-profile criminal case alleging excessive use of segregation.Tracy-Anne McPhee’s decision follows the conclusion of Michael Nehass’s criminal case, which raised concerns about his treatment at the jail.“I’m very keen to make sure we determine exactly what happened in this case,” McPhee said.“The vast majority of inmates present (with mental health issues), and, as a result, we need to make sure that we are properly providing services for them.”McPhee said officials are working on finding someone with the necessary expertise to conduct a review.There are also concerns that the jail is not serving the needs of First Nations inmates.Nehass, 33, is a member of the Tahltan Nation and has been diagnosed with schizophrenia.McPhee said there’s an effort to develop more culturally relevant programming, including incorporating traditional food, cultural workshops, language lessons and a newly established healing room.Nehass was charged in 2011 with assault with a weapon and forcible confinement, among other charges, related to the assault of a woman at knife point in Watson Lake.While he was found guilty of many of the charges in May 2015, he was declared unfit for trial in January 2017.Nehass’s lawyer, Anik Morrow, said his client spent 22 to 23 hours a day in a cell in the segregation unit.When outside, he was kept in handcuffs, belly chains and shackles, even while he showered, Morrow said.In January 2014, guards in riot gear held Nehass naked and shackled to the floor of his cell for a court appearance by video.Yukon Supreme Court Justice Scott Brooker noted Nehass’s time in segregation caused his mental health to deteriorate.Nehass’s nearly six-year legal saga concluded earlier this month, when the Crown stayed criminal charges.Morrow said that amounted to a gag order on many of the issues in the case.He said it also left Nehass stranded in Ontario, where he had been sent via court order to be assessed at a mental health facility in Whitby. A variation of the order meant he would be transferred to a mental health centre in Kamloops, B.C.The Yukon NDP has been calling for a public inquiry into Nehass’s case and an independent audit into the use of segregation at the correctional centre.NDP Leader Liz Hanson said she wants an open and frank public discussion, not only about Nehass’s case, but about the systemic issues involved.“It just begs this government, in the spirit of reconciliation, let’s revisit what’s going on at WCC,” Hanson said.She noted the facility, which opened in 2012 at a cost of more than $70 million, has not met the goals of a community jail and is akin to a maximum security prison.Roger Ellis, who is currently on the jail’s Elders Advisory Group, has also raised issues about the needs of mentally ill inmates and said several elders who have spoken out over the years have yet to receive a response.While Nehass was incarcerated since December 2011, he has never been sentenced for the alleged crimes. (Whitehorse Star)
NBA All-Star Paul George was only 6-years-old when his mother Paulette suffered a stroke that left her practically bedridden for two years.Paul George with his mother, PauletteToday, Paulette remains partially paralyzed on the left side of her body.“I remember every moment of it,” said the Indiana Pacers swingman. “I was always there at hospital visits, right by her bed. When she got a hospital bed in our home, I would lay in my bed next to her. I want to make sure that everyone knows the warning signs for a stroke so they can quickly take action and give their loved ones the best chance for recovery.”The pair has teamed up with the American Stroke Association and the Ad Council on a series of multimedia PSAs that teach the acronym F.A.S.T. for stroke: If you see (F)ace drooping, (A)rm weakness or (S)peech difficulty, it’s (T)ime to call 9-1-1.Created pro bono by The Baiocco and Maldari Connection, the new PSAs blend images of a 6-year-old George with the present-day athlete.“The spot sets up a Paul George basketball story, then you’re blindsided with the stroke of his mother,” said Rob Baiocco, CCO of the New York-based agency. “A stroke often comes out of nowhere and that’s why knowing the warning signs is so important.”An American suffers a stroke every 40 seconds, but only 8 percent of the population knows what F.A.S.T. means, according to a recent Ad Council study.“Treatment options are limited when people don’t recognize a stroke and get to the appropriate hospital in time,” said Mary Ann Bauman, M.D., American Stroke Association Advisory Committee chair. “Paul and Paulette’s involvement in our campaign will help people to recognize the signs of a stroke so they can be quickly assessed and have a greater chance at recovery.”The Ad Council’s new TV, radio, digital, and print PSAs will be distributed nationwide and run in space and time entirely donated by the media.“Learning the F.A.S.T. acronym is easy to do and may save a life,” said Lisa Sherman, Ad Council president and CEO. “We’re thrilled to work with American Stroke Association and Paul George to teach people the signs of a stroke so more families like Paul’s can have memories together.”
Twitter TORONTO, Canada – Corus Entertainment’s Nelvana, WeKids, and Toon Boom Animation are pleased to announce that their joint talent initiative, China Tales Incubator, has officially opened its online portal for submissions. The partners are committed to discovering new talent and developing, producing, and distributing original, cutting-edge kids’ animation from China to global audiences.China-based creatives – animators, writers, illustrators, storytellers, and artists – are now invited to submit their comedic, character-driven concepts for kids aged 2-5 and 6-11, via the China Tales Incubatorwebsite (http://www.chinatales.com.cn). Accepted in either Mandarin or English, submissions must include a working title, target demo, proposed format, summary, and a maximum of five illustrations. The first-round deadline is July 6, 2018. Submissions will be evaluated by September 30, 2018.The winning concept will be put into development through the partnering companies with the goal of creating a pitch bible and an animation test or trailer to then take the concept to the international market for distribution, licensing, and merchandising. LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Login/Register With: Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement To kick-off the initiative, Nelvana, WeKids, and Toon Boom Animation will host six China Tales Incubator Workshops in Hangzhou, Suzhou, Shanghai, Beijing and Shenzhen from April 26 – May 11. Specialists in writing, developing, and producing animation from the three companies will be introducing the incubator program to attendees. Chinese animation studios, broadcasters, streaming platforms, animation academies, and independent animators, writers, and artists are all invited to attend these workshops. The first workshop in Hangzhou will be held as a panel of CICAF/iABC. Please visit the China Tales website for more information.“Nelvana could not be more pleased to be moving into the next phase of our partnership with WeKids and Toon Boom Animation,” said Scott Dyer, President, Nelvana. “China holds tremendous untapped potential in the international animation market and we’re keen to unearth new talent through the China Tales Incubator competition.”Manman Chen, COO of WeKids added, “We are delighted to be working with world leaders in the animation industry to identify and bring to the Chinese and world markets animation created by the best and brightest Chinese animators, writers and illustrators. Nelvana, one of the top animation producers and distributors in the world, is the perfect partner to recognize, produce and distribute Chinese-inspired properties across the world. Toon Boom Animation, with its cutting-edge technology, will be a terrific collaborator in bringing these series to the screen. We are excited to be part of this historic partnership.”About NelvanaNelvana is a world-leading international producer and distributor of children’s animated and live-action content. Nelvana produces a stable of award-winning and globally renowned brands that focus on comedies, preschool and boys action series and ancillary consumer products programs. Nelvana’s content airs on Corus Entertainment’s kids channels in Canada and in over 160 countries around the world. The Nelvana library has well over 4,000 episodes of programming and has received over 70 major international program awards including Emmys® and Geminis. Visit the Nelvana website at nelvana.com.Follow Nelvana Enterprises on Twitter @NelvanaEntAbout WeKidsWeKids is China’s market leader in providing the best-in-class animation from around the world to kids and families in Greater China, including Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan. With more than 4,000 episodes of outstanding kids’ animation, WeKids works with digital distribution partners to be the premiere on-demand destination for millions of Chinese kids who are eager to view great animated programs from across the globe, available on multiple new media platforms in both Chinese and English. In addition, WeKids oversees the merchandising, publishing, and ancillary exploitation of key properties throughout Greater China, including all aspects of brand management. For more information, visit: wekids.com.About Toon Boom Animation IncToon Boom Animation Inc’s award-winning software is the global standard for 2D animation and storyboarding. Toon Boom Animation solutions provide everyone from enthusiasts to professionals with the artistic freedom to create in any style and efficiently publish anywhere. Customers include Disney Television Animation, Amazon, Fox Television Animation, Nelvana, Ubisoft, Toei Animation, The SPA Studios, Xilam and Boulder Media. Toon Boom technology is available in Japanese, Simplified Chinese and Spanish. For more information, visit: toonboom.com Facebook