first_imgArsenal proved triumphant over a lacklustre Aston villa winning convincingly 4-0 at Wembley stadium. The score line was the very least they deserved having been utterly dominant throughout both halves of the game. Villa were against the ropes pretty much from the get go and Given saved them on more than one occasion. Arsenal’s second goal scored by Sanchez will undoubtedly go down as one of those stunning FA Cup Final goals. A right footed crazy, swerving rising shot that whipped into the roof of the net taken from outside the box and unfortunately for Given he never stood a chance. As a jubilant Arsenal celebrate their win and their place in the history books it’s commiserations to Given on a day were he gave it his all but unfortunately Arsenal proved just to strong a challenge. There’s always next year Shay, onwards and upwards.HEARTACHE FOR GIVEN AS ARSENAL LIFT FA CUP was last modified: May 30th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalEntertainmentFA Cup FinalLiffordnewsShay GivensoccerSportlast_img read more

Survivor recalls nightmare of Colombia air crash

first_imgThere were no scenes of panic in the moments before the plane crash that wiped out a Brazilian football team in Colombia last week, according to one of the survivors.Bolivian flight attendant Erwin Tumiri was one of only six people pulled alive from the wreckage of the LaMia airlines charter plane that crashed into a hillside near Medellin last Monday. (Colombia and Brazil football teams join in tribute after plane crash)Seventy-one people died in the crash, including 19 players from Brazilian top-flight club Chapecoense and all of its coaching staff.”We were told it would be a normal landing,” Tumiri told Brazil’s Globo TV in an interview broadcast late on Sunday. (From Wayne Rooney to Neymar, soccer world sends condolences to Brazil’s Chapecoense after air crash)”I was talking with the Chapecoense coach Caio Junior and he was teaching me some Portuguese. I told everybody to put on their seat-belts because we were about to land.””Everybody went back to their seats. The lights went out and then the plane began to shake. I thought that the vibration was part of a normal landing. But it wasn’t. I just heard a ‘vroom vroom’ sound. I can’t remember what happened after that. I woke up on the ground.” (Colombia crash: Plane carrying Chapecoense players was running out of fuel)Investigations into the accident are expected to take months, but pilot Miguel Quiroga is known to have told air traffic officials that the plane had run out of fuel just seconds before it came down.advertisementQuiroga, who died in the crash, had been ordered to maintain a circular holding pattern while another plane with mechanical problems was given priority to land.Many have questioned how the flight was authorised when its journey from the Bolivian city of Santa Cruz to Colombia’s Rionegro airport was the same as the plane’s maximum fuel range. (Brazil mourns Chapecoense crash victims at packed stadium wake)Tumiri confirmed media reports that the plane had been due to stop for refuelling in the northern Bolivian city of Cobija.A delay in the flight’s departure from Santa Cruz meant the stop could not be made because Cobija’s airport did not operate at night, according to Globo.Tumiri did not point the blame at the pilot or LaMia, but said flight staff should have been told of the situation.”I think it wasn’t a good idea by the pilot to take that decision or the person responsible at LaMia,” Tumiri said.”They (airline companies) should let us be heard. Right now it’s ‘This is how it is and it’s going to be like this’. Decisions like that shouldn’t be taken in an individual way. And it should be communicated: Where we are going, where we are going to refuel, and these things. The flight staff need to know. The responsibility should be divided and then a leader can make a decision.”Bolivian authorities have suspended LaMia’s operating licence and President Evo Morales has promised a full investigation.last_img read more

Yukon justice minister directs review of jail where mentally ill man segregated

first_imgWHITEHORSE – Yukon’s justice minister plans to direct an independent review of how the Whitehorse Correctional Centre handles mentally ill inmates following a high-profile criminal case alleging excessive use of segregation.Tracy-Anne McPhee’s decision follows the conclusion of Michael Nehass’s criminal case, which raised concerns about his treatment at the jail.“I’m very keen to make sure we determine exactly what happened in this case,” McPhee said.“The vast majority of inmates present (with mental health issues), and, as a result, we need to make sure that we are properly providing services for them.”McPhee said officials are working on finding someone with the necessary expertise to conduct a review.There are also concerns that the jail is not serving the needs of First Nations inmates.Nehass, 33, is a member of the Tahltan Nation and has been diagnosed with schizophrenia.McPhee said there’s an effort to develop more culturally relevant programming, including incorporating traditional food, cultural workshops, language lessons and a newly established healing room.Nehass was charged in 2011 with assault with a weapon and forcible confinement, among other charges, related to the assault of a woman at knife point in Watson Lake.While he was found guilty of many of the charges in May 2015, he was declared unfit for trial in January 2017.Nehass’s lawyer, Anik Morrow, said his client spent 22 to 23 hours a day in a cell in the segregation unit.When outside, he was kept in handcuffs, belly chains and shackles, even while he showered, Morrow said.In January 2014, guards in riot gear held Nehass naked and shackled to the floor of his cell for a court appearance by video.Yukon Supreme Court Justice Scott Brooker noted Nehass’s time in segregation caused his mental health to deteriorate.Nehass’s nearly six-year legal saga concluded earlier this month, when the Crown stayed criminal charges.Morrow said that amounted to a gag order on many of the issues in the case.He said it also left Nehass stranded in Ontario, where he had been sent via court order to be assessed at a mental health facility in Whitby. A variation of the order meant he would be transferred to a mental health centre in Kamloops, B.C.The Yukon NDP has been calling for a public inquiry into Nehass’s case and an independent audit into the use of segregation at the correctional centre.NDP Leader Liz Hanson said she wants an open and frank public discussion, not only about Nehass’s case, but about the systemic issues involved.“It just begs this government, in the spirit of reconciliation, let’s revisit what’s going on at WCC,” Hanson said.She noted the facility, which opened in 2012 at a cost of more than $70 million, has not met the goals of a community jail and is akin to a maximum security prison.Roger Ellis, who is currently on the jail’s Elders Advisory Group, has also raised issues about the needs of mentally ill inmates and said several elders who have spoken out over the years have yet to receive a response.While Nehass was incarcerated since December 2011, he has never been sentenced for the alleged crimes. (Whitehorse Star)last_img read more