Caution Urged as Nova Scotians Head to the Beaches

first_imgAs Nova Scotians head to the beaches for relief from unseasonably high temperatures, provincial officials and the Lifesaving Society are urging caution in the water and around the shore. The tail end of Hurricane Danielle has created increased surf activity at a number of beaches across the province. With the possible arrival of Hurricane Earl, water conditions could become even more hazardous. “Understanding that people are seeking ways to escape the heat, I’m urging everyone to exercise extreme caution when in the water,” said Ramona Jennex, Minister of Emergency Management. “Rough surf attracts many water enthusiasts, but it also creates increased risk of injury or death.” With any storm, there is the potential for large waves, strong currents and dangerous surf conditions. People should consider the following advice from the Lifesaving Society: The Nova Scotia Lifeguard Service has extended supervision at three of the province’s busiest beaches. Supervision at Rainbow Haven Beach in Halifax Regional Municipality, Melmerby Beach in Pictou County and Mira Gut Beach in Cape Breton Regional Municipality has resumed from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Supervision at these three beaches is schedule to end tomorrow, Sept. 2. Nova Scotians are also reminded that Aylesford Lake Beach in Kings County, Lake Milo Boat Club in Yarmouth County and Lawrencetown Beach in the Halifax Regional Municipality will remain supervised until Monday, Sept. 6. Supervision at Lawrencetown Beach will reopen the weekends of Sept. 11 and 12, and Sept. 18 and 19. A number of indoor and outdoor pools are also open across the province and provide safe opportunities for relief from the heat. People should continue to listen to weather reports as Hurricane Earl moves closer to the province. Beaches and provincial parks may be ordered closed should weather conditions warrant. don’t overestimate your ability and stay within your depth parents should keep their children within arm’s reach on the beach and in the water do not consume alcohol on beaches swim with a partner in case you run into trouble never swim after darklast_img read more

Chris Gayle back in West Indies squad to face England in

Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedKraigg Brathwaite in ODI squad, T20 call-ups for Rovman Powell, PooranSeptember 5, 2016In “latest news”Gayle, Samuels recalled for England ODIsAugust 21, 2017In “latest news”Guyanese Johnson to tour India with WindiesSeptember 24, 2014In “Sports” Chris Gayle has been recalled to the West Indies’ 14-man squad for the first and second one-day internationals against England later this month.The flamboyant batsman, who is the Windies’ second leading ODI runscorer, opted out of the limited-overs tours of India and Bangladesh last October.The 39-year-old last played for his country in an ODI against Bangladesh last July. Wicketkeeper Nicholas Pooran has also been picked.The Windies’ squad has only been named for the first two games of the five-match series, which begins on 20 February.Gayle, who has scored the most centuries (23) by a West Indian in the ODI format, decided to play in the Afghanistan Premier League instead of the tour to the sub-continent late last year.Chris GayleAnd the decision to recall him comes ahead of the World Cup which will be held in England and Wales, starting on 31 May.Batsman Marlon Samuels, 38, is also unavailable because of treatment on a knee injury.Chairman of selectors Courtney Browne said: “We welcome the return of Chris Gayle and we are pleased to introduce Nicholas Pooran to ODI cricket for the first time.“He is clearly a young player with undoubted talent and we believe he can add value to our middle order. Shannon Gabriel remains very much in our World Cup plans but with a heavy workload expected in the Test series, he will be considered for selection later in the ODI series.“As we continue our Cricket World Cup preparations, the upcoming series against the top-ranked ODI side is a great opportunity for us to gauge where we are as a team.”The first two matches will be played at Kensington Oval on 20 February and 22 February, before switching to the Grenada National Stadium for matches three and four and finishing at Darren Sammy Cricket Ground in St Lucia on 2 March.Windies squad: Jason Holder (Captain), Fabian Allen, Devendra Bishoo, Darren Bravo, Chris Gayle, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope, Evin Lewis, Ashley Nurse, Keemo Paul, Nicholas Pooran, Rovman Powell, Kemar Roach, Oshane Thomas. (BBC)Match Schedule:1st ODI: Kensington Oval – Wednesday, 20 February2nd ODI: Kensington Oval – Friday, 22 February3rd ODI: Grenada National Stadium – Monday, 25 February4th ODI: Grenada National Stadium – Wednesday, 27 February5th ODI: Darren Sammy Cricket Ground – Saturday, 2 March read more